Windows 10 Users – Do yourself a favor – Disable Fast Startup
Since the release of windows 10 and the plethora of windows updates that accompany it, we’ve noticed many issues that can be simply resolved by disabling Fast startup. Fast startup is typically enabled by default on Windows 10 and the idea behind fast boot is smart because it allows the computer to start up much quicker than usual. However, when you shut down your computer while fast startup is enabled it may not install updates and equally as important it doesn’t fully shut down either. Fully shutting down is crucial for many computers because it resets applications and system memory allocated to background programs and apps. For example, as you use your computer day to day it may seem to slow down or become more sluggish. This could be due to never actually shutting your machine down. Even though you click Start and “Shutdown” your PC won’t fully shut down while fast boot is enabled.
Okay, so you’re ready to disable Fast Boot?
- Click Start
- Click in the search bar and type “power button”
- Click “Change what the power button does” in the search list
- A new window should open up, click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”
- Uncheck “Turn on Fast Startup (Recommended)”
- Save changes and Actually Shut your computer down
- Make it a great day!