Malwareybytes Memory Leak – Read if you use Malwarebytes!
So, we’ve been faced with a large amount of incoming calls today. Apparently malwareybtes has released an update that is causing memory leaks and screeching computers to a halt. If you are affected by the update your PC will become slower and slower over the course of about 20 minutes until it becomes unusable. A reboot will buy you another 20 minutes, but won’t solve the issue. We love malwarebytes, and we’re sure the admins will release a patch shortly. For the time being we are asking our clients to either uninstall or temporarily disable malwarebytes until a patch has been released. I’ve provided step by step instructions to temporarily disable the memory leaking service.
Have Great weekend everyone!
Malwarebytes issue/ticket: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/219996-important-web-blocking-ram-usage-issue/
Steps to disable the malwarebytes service:
- Click Start
- Type “RUN”
- Press Enter (a run dialog box should popup)
- In the dialog box type “services.msc” (without thew quotes)
- Press Enter
- Scroll the the services list until you see “Malwarebytes Service” it may also show up as “MBAMService”
- Right-Click the service and click properties
- Click the recovery tab
- Change First, Second, and Subsequent failures to “Take No Action”
- Apply and Click OK
- Restart your Computer
- In a day or so check for malwarebytes updates
Here is a helpful picture to guide the way: https://i.imgur.com/wJXIvSn.png